Life is so routine and boring these days. I want to kick start it by a surprise dinner party for my family. I started working on the menu. It much be simple yet wonderful. I thought off making a starter, main dish and dessert. I made all the arrangement before ahead like marinated the chicken, made the sauce and draw some sketches in my mind for "How to arrange the table". On that day, I am wanting for my hubby to go to office, then it started raining, followed by a tornado warning. Boom, surprise went off and there was just a dinner party after all.
But, I want to make it something special, I made an invitation using all my skills in Photoshop and mailed to him. He was so excited. I sent my kid to school and started getting all the recipes in my menu into a shape.
Here is my menu
Chocolate Coconut balls
Me and my little chef, Saanvi love items made with BBQ sauce - BBQ potato chips, pizza with BBQ sauce and BBQ chicken. I love that smoky flavor. For Saanvi, I want to try BBQ chicken at home. I picked canned BBQ sauce many times , read the ingredients used in it (they always frightens me) and placed it back. Finally, decided to make at home. I though, making BBQ sauce is very difficult. But, it's very easy and tasty. I made this BBQ chicken again for a get together party and it was a big success.
Let's learn how to prepare BBQ Chicken.
Preparation for sauce : 15 minutes
Time to cook sauce : 35 minutes
Time to Cook Chicken : Approximately 1 hr 30 min
- Chicken legs - 5 piece
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice - 3 to 4 tbsp
- Smoked paprika - 1 tbsp
- All spice mix or Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- BBQ Sauce - 1 cup
Ingredients To Make Sauce:
- Tomato ketchup - 1 cup
- Onion - 1/4 cup
- Tomato - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Brown cane sugar - 2 tbsp( we can use honey or white sugar)
- Soy sauce - 1 tbsp
- Vinegar - 2 tbsp
- Chili powder - 1 tbsp (We can also use red chili sauce, I added hot red chili powder)
- Smoked paprika - 2 tbsp
- water - 1 cup
- Orange juice - 1/4 cup(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Clean chicken legs and cut slits.(We can leave skin on or remove it).
- Marinate it with salt and lemon juice.
- Keep it in fridge for over night or for 3 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and tomato pieces and cook till soft.
- Add all the remaining ingredients under sauce and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let it cool, transfer the mixture to a blender and blend till soft.
- If the sauce is too thick, add little water(1/2 cup) and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Check salt, sour, spicy and sweetness and adjust to your taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 Degree F.
- Take a oven safe pan and cover with sliver foil. (It will make cleaning easy)
- Take chicken legs and if they are wet, dry them with napkin.
- Mix smoked paprika and all spice mix and sprinkle on chicken legs on both sides and place them in the pan.
- Place the pan with chicken in preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Take the chicken out and turn to other side and cook for 15 minutes. (Total 45 minutes)
- Take the chicken out and apply BBQ sauce on one side and cook for 10 minutes.
- Again apply BBQ sauce on another side and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Repeat step 8 for 3 to 4 time.
- Serve hot