Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Rava Idli/Semolina Idli


Rava Idli/Semolina Idli

I wonder, how most hate able things will turn into most loveable and most loveable, no longer exist. When I am a kid, like many other kids, love watching cartoon all the time, eating lot of chocolates and ice creams, playing with mud and in rain, Climbing trees and walls ( I got many warning for this from my parents), steeling mangoes from the neighbors tree, breaking the glass items and hiding them, Steeling honey from the honey pot and licking it (My mom used to tell me don't eat lot of honey), giving my milk to cats... This list will be so long. All these loveable things are now sweet memories. I didn't tell my most hate able things, right. School and idli. 

In South Indian families, idli is the most popular and common breakfast. My mom used to make idli every day whether it is Monday or Sunday as my dad love to eat only idli as breakfast. (Secret, But she used to make another breakfast for me, poor mom). But now, I don't know what happened, I love idli very much. My mom used to make different varieties of idlis, but no one among them impressed me. But know I love all the varieties and miss my mom's idli....   

Rava Idli/Semolina Idli

If I want to have idli and don't have batter, I prefer doing rava/semolina idli or broken wheat idli. Rava/ semolina idli preparation is very simple, quick and tasty. We can also add sweet corn, green beans....

We can also make plain rava idlis without adding veggies.
Yield : 18 idlis 
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time : 15 Minutes

Ingredients:
  • Rava/Semolina - 1 cup
  • Curd - 1/2 cup
  • Carrot - 1, Grated
  • Spinach - 1/2 cup
  • Green peas - 1/4 cup
  • Salt to taste
For Tempering:
  • Avalu/Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Jeera/Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
  • Minapappu/Urad dal - 1 tsp
  • Senagapappu/Chana dal - 1 tsp
  • Chillies - 2 (optional)
  • Cashews - 10 (optional)
  • Oil - 2 tsp
Preparation:


  • Heat oil in a pan, add all the ingredients under tempering and fry till urad dals and chana dal turn golden brown.
  • Add rava/semolina and fry till rava turn nice light brown color and switch off the stove.
  • Add curd and water to the roasted rava mixture and keep aside for 15 minutes. Don't add too much water, rava mixture must not be thin.
  • Add carrot, spinach, peas and salt.
  • As we keep for some time  rava will absorb water, if require add little water and pour a ladle of batter into each partition of idli plate and steam for 15 minutes on medium heat.
  • Serve with chutney.
Note:
  • Don't add too much water, batter must be little bit thick.
  • I don't like to add baking powder, I will keep batter for 15 minutes and then make idli. They will come soft.
  • We can also add sour curd.
  • Don't take them immediately from idli plate. After 3 to 5 minutes they will come perfectly from idli plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment