Friday, December 19, 2014

Set Dosa With Brown Rice/Crepe With Brown Rice


Set Dosa With Brown Rice/Crepe With Brown Rice

Today I came with an popular dosa of Karnataka state.  It is very hard for South Indians to imagine their day without idli or dosa. Today's recipe is set dosa. It will be soft and delicious. Normal dosa will be crisp and set dosa will be soft as we use poha/pressed rice. In restaurants, 2 or 3 will be served per plate, so they are known as Set dosa. 

Before marriage I learned only few recipes and after marriage I used to prepare the few recipes every time. I decided to make some special tiffin for my hubby and started goggling and found set dosa recipe and prepared it and got compliments. This happened long ago and completely forgot the recipe. One week back again I came across set dosa recipe. I searched many set dosa recipes but not satisfied with any of them, so tried on my own and it was a big hit.  I want to make it healthy so instead of white rice I added brown rice and it tasted delicious.

Yield: 16 to 18
Ingredients:
  • Brown rice - 2 cups
  • Poha/Pressed  Rice/Attukulu - 3/4 cup
  • Urad dal/Minapapappu/Split Black gram - 1/2 cup
  • Curd - 1/2 cup
  • Fenugreek seeds/Menthulu - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt to taste
Preparing Batter:
  • Wash and soak Brown rice, urad dal/minapappu and fenugreek seeds for 8 hours or over night.
  • Wash and  soak poha in curd for 20 minutes.
  • Drain water from brown rice, urad dal and grind them into paste along with poha by adding little water. (Batter will be neither thick nor thin)
  • Cover it and ferment it for 8 hours or over night.
Preparing Dosa:
  • Heat a tawa/griddle and spray oil.
  • Add salt to the batter and pour a ladle full of batter and let it spread. (No need to spread with ladle)
  • Cook on both sides until golden brown.
  • Serve hot with coconut chutney. (If using brown rice have it hot)

No comments:

Post a Comment