Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Senagapappu Kobbari Pachadi/Chana dal Coconut Chutney



Senagapappu Kobbari Pachadi/Chana dal Coconut Chutney

I woken up by the chirping of birds at dawn and felt what a pleasant day. Chirping of birds gives me immense pleasure from childhood on words. As spring started, I am hearing them throughout the day. I feel, in this lonely busy world they are accompanying me with their beautiful singing. I want to comfort this pleasant day with some comfort food for breakfast. For any South Indian comfort breakfast means idly, I think so. Where I grow almost everyone prepare idli atleast  5 days a week and in my home 7 days a week.

Idli must be served with a perfect side, then only it will taste good. In Andhra, everyone will prepare "Nilava Pachalu/Pickles" which we can store up to an year and have them with idli, dosa and rice. When bored of with these pickles or have guests, will prepare some instead chutneys with dals, coconut, mango, ginger and some nuts.

Today, I prepared chana dal coconut chutney, which is very easy to prepare. All instead chutneys are very easy to prepare. Mostly everyone use roasted chana dal/gulla senagapappu to make chutney. Here I used raw chana dal. 


Senagapappu Kobbari Pachadi/Chana dal Coconut Chutney


Ingredients:

  • Senagapappu/Chana dal - 1/2 cup
  • Pachi Kobbari/Fresh Coconut pieces - 1/4 cup
  • Dry red chilies - 3 or to taste
  • Tamarind - cherry size
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil - 1 tsp

Preparation:

  • Heat oil in a pan, add fry red chilies and chana dal till it turn golden brown.
  • Add coconut pieces and tamarind and fry for a minute.
  • Let them cool and grind in a mixture by 1/2 cup adding water(add more water if require) and salt.
  • Serve with idli or dosa.


No comments:

Post a Comment